January is Mental Wellness Month!
The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology recommends that adults ages 18 or older do at least 150 minutes/week of moderate-to-vigorous intensity exercise.
Regular physical activity has many health benefits! The more often you exercise, the more mental health benefits you will see!
What Are the Mental Health Benefits of Physical Activity?
- Prevent depression and anxiety disorders
- Reduce day-to-day stress
- Increase levels of happiness and decrease levels of sadness and loneliness
- Improve sleep quality and reduce feelings of fatigue
- Boosts self-esteem
Why Does Physical Activity Have These Benefits?
- Your body boosts production of endorphins which are hormones that help you relax and feel good
- It increases your self-esteem when you accomplish your goals
- People who exercise regularly usually have bigger social networks and stronger relationships with friends and family.
- Physical activity increases blood flow to your brain to help better your brain function.